Ammonia (NH3)

Often used to refrigerate food and beverages, Ammonia (NH3) is a commonly used but potentially fatal toxic gas. Ammonia is a colourless gas that is hard to detect from sight alone, but does have a very distinctive odour that can provide warning to workers who are exposed to it. It is not considered flammable, but if large amounts are exposed to an intense energy source then ignitions or explosions can take place.

Exposure to high levels of ammonia can cause burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract. A worker who has been exposed to NH3 can be subject to blindness, lung damage and even death in some cases. Take a look through our selection of ammonia detectors to keep your workers safe on site, or find out how ammonia is used in the Food & Beverage industry here.

If you require further information, fill out the form below and one of our friendly specialists will get back in touch with you: